Mr Prendergast - Head of Department
Mr Williams - KS3 Progress and Achievement / Deputy Head of Department
MFL Department Vision Statement
MFL education at Barking Abbey will provide all students with the opportunity to communicate and participate in a range of language experiences. We aim to provide an outstanding teaching and learning environment in which students are able to achieve their best possible outcomes. This will be achieved with high quality teaching and learning and with a focus on high expectations.
MFL Department Priorities for 2019-20
Raise attainment and success at KS3 and GCSE to ensure all student make good progress
Integrate Spanish to the KS3 MFL curriculum
Promote student’s confidence using the language in all four skills
Raise motivation and enjoyment for students
Teach students to become increasingly independent learners
Raise the profile of MFL across the school
Modern Foreign Language Department Curriculum Intent
At Barking School, the Modern Foreign Languages department offer French or Spanish from year 7.
We are very proud of our strong relationships with our local primary schools to support students to bridge the transition from primary to secondary school.
It has never been more important or exciting to be able to speak a foreign language in our increasingly globalised and connected world. Our aim is to equip our students with a greater appreciation and understanding of cultures in addition to the relevant communication skills to take advantage of the modern world of work.
Our Key Stage three MFL curriculum develops on what students competence in listening, speaking, reading and writing. There is a strong focus on knowledge, understanding and application of key grammar concepts. Students are encouraged express themselves and give opinions. There is a strong emphasis on students to be able to speak with spontaneity and independence. This is reinforced throughout Teaching and Learning methodology.
At GCSE, students develop their understanding of a range of themes covered at Key Stage three with a greater emphasis on independence.
- The MFL department embedded a number of proven Teaching and Learning Strategies in all MFL lessons with the aim to develop all four skills. MFL teachers aim to support and enable students to speak French with increasing confidence. Students are frequently describing pictures and expressing opinions in French/Spanish over a range of topics.
- We want all our students to become increasingly independent in their learning. Students are trained to think and seek out and solve their own issues with language and grammar. These key independence skills for learners are enabled as students are provided with excellent MFL resources to support students in and outside the classroom.
- We promote Language Learning outside the classroom through our subscription to online homework platform in which students will complete a range of MFL tasks weekly.
- The MFL department promotes the cultural aspects in the classroom as well as our annular trips to Paris with more trips planned. Our French café and Spanish day of the dead are great opportunities for students to get involved and engage with language and culture.
- We are extremely proud of our recent partnership with Arsenal Football Club. This partnership is a way for us to bring together the world of sport and MFL.
Key Stage 4 support resources
Here are some useful resources to help support your child’s inquisitive skills and prepare for key assessments and exams.
Edexcel GCSE (9-1)French Grammar and translation book
Revise Edexcel GCSE (9-1)French Revision Guide
Revise Edexcel GCSE (9-1)French Revision Workbook
Key Stage 3
We follow a two-year Key Stage 3 curriculum that aims to give students a good grounding in the basics of French language to help them extend their knowledge in later years. The course is broken down into the following components:
Key Stage 3 support resources
Here are some useful resources to help support your child to develop their knowledge of French further. Click on the link to find the resource.
Practice your Grammar/Vocab
Revise & Practice French vocabulary at GSCE
Learn French by watching videos in an online
Look at French culture
"One language sets you in a corridor for life. Two languages open every door along the way."