Dance Academy Curriculum
Aim: To develop students as elite and versatile performers.
Provide performance opportunities;
- in house
- studio shows with Boy Blue
- bi-annual A Night with Boy Blue show at the Barbican
- annual BA Broadway Show
- the Barbican Associate Schools
- Dance Festivals
Develop students’ physical, technical and expressive skills through small group/individual sessions and within Wednesday sessions.
Access to Strength & Conditioning sessions.
Audition technique and preparation; in house, invited guest artists; for professional jobs.
Audition opportunities for Boy Blue Youth, Centre for Advanced Training Schemes at The Place and Trinity Laban; Homefam; HydroGenUk.
Professional work opportunities.
One to one mentoring and target setting.
Aim: To nurture students' individual artistry and enable creative outlets to support wellbeing.
Modules will explore:
- Choreography- standard and conceptual
- Creative processes- for stage, for camera/film, site specific, for a brief, etc
- Notation and archiving choreography
- Creative exploration
- Wellbeing will underpin one to one mentoring and target setting to support creative development
Aim: To develop knowledge and skills in a breadth of Dance areas to develop character and transferable skills to sustain a successful career within any field.
Modules will explore the below foci by providing workshops with experts within each area and projects within professional settings (theatres/sets/companies) for students to undertake these roles:
- Movement direction
- Stage Management
- Technical staff- Lighting, sound
Students will also develop knowledge and skills in the below Dance fields:
- Dance journalism
- Education teams- teaching, outreach, etc
- Instructor qualifications- exercise to music/fitness
- Students will be supported in developing knowledge and application in the below areas:
- Social media and content creation- how to be safe online weaved through
- CV writing and portfolio development
Students will receive one to one mentoring on Post 18 pathways, target setting and career development.