The Football Academy, aimed at 16 – 18 year olds was originally established in 2003 for boys and was followed by the creation of the Girls Football Academy in 2009.
The Football Academy Programme enables elite student athletes to access a structured programme of high level training and fixtures whilst continuing to have the opportunity to study their chosen level 3 academic courses.
The mission of our programme is to provide opportunities for those footballers who may have perhaps missed out on a professional scholarship (boys), be attached to regional centres of excellence (girls), who are late developers or are committed players who would like to maximise their abilities through a programme of daily individual training and competitive matches.
As part of this high performance programme we are committed to offer opportunities for all players to participate in tours and tournaments with our current boys squad scheduled to travel to the IMG Showcase Tournament in Tampa, Florida in March 2015 and our girls squad to the Dallas Cup in Texas in April 2015.
Barking Abbey Football Academy consists of a dedicated team of UEFA ‘A’ and ‘B’ qualified coaches including three full time members of staff plus additional dedicated support staff in areas of strength and conditioning and physiotherapy.
The programme includes:
- ‘Brand New’ state of the art FIFA approved 4G AG pitches.
- A Licence Coaches
- Technical and Tactical Development
- Full Match Programme (FCYA) (BCYL) Professional Teams
- Strength and conditioning programme
- Match Analysis Technology
- Full Time Physiotherapy Provision
- International Tours
Academic Pathways including:
- 25 A Level Courses
- 5 Level 3 BTEC National Courses
- Coaching Qualifications/ Sports Leaders Awards/ Personal Training
- Over 20 students progressed to professional clubs
- Ex Students include Bobby Zamora QPR FC, Darren Pratley Bolton FC Kane Ferdinand Peterborough FC, Wes Thomas Bournemouth FC , Michael Hector Reading FC, Rikish Bingham Wigan FC
- Over 50 students progressed to semi-professional clubs
- Over 100 students progressed to University
- Scholarships to NCAA American Universities
- 4 National Championships since 2000
- 5 England U18 Schools Internationals